Asia-Pacific Knee, Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine Society (APKASS) is a non-profit, international scientific society open to all individuals involved in knee surgery, arthroscopy and sports medicine.
APKASS - Evolving from APOSSM
APKASS is an evolution of Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine(APOSSM) in response to the growing trend both regionally and globally of combining arthroscopy, knee surgery and orthopaedic sport medicine into a coherent group.
APOSSM along with the International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery, and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS) was established in 1995 in Hong Kong. In 2008, APOSSM established its Head Office in Hong Kong SAR. APOSSM is a strong supporter of ISAKOS. Collaborating with European Society of Sports Traumatology Keen Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA), American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) & Latin American Society of Knee Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine (SLARD). APOSSM has been well recognized as the regional leader in sports medicine field. The first APOSSM Congress was held in 1995 at Hong Kong. Taipei, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Japan have hosted the Congress in 1997, 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006, 2008 and 2010 respectively.
2012 marked a significant year of change for APOSSM. In response to the growing trend both regionally and globally of combining arthroscopy, knee surgery and orthopaedic sport medicine into a coherent group, APOSSM began its evolution into the new society of Asia-Pacific Knee, Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine Society (APKASS).The Congress of Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine (CASM) is a combined meeting of 3 sister fraternities - IAS, Asia Arthroscopy Congress (AAC) and Asia Pacific Orthopedic & Sports Medicine (APOSSM). The official announcement of APKASS was delivered at CASM to an international crowd of experts and leaders in the orthopaedic realm.
Objectives of forming APKASS
- To keep up with the global trend and to meet the professional and social demand
- To take up the leadership role in the Asia-Pacific region
- To nurture the future generation and to build a new platform
- To encourage research, education and the exchange of clinical and scientific information among the various Asia-pacific countries in the fields of knee surgery, arthroscopy and sports medicine, the society brings together doctors specializing in the aforementioned fields.
- To promote knee surgery, arthroscopy and sports medicine through organizing courses and conferences and related scientific and educational activities to enhance the participation of specialists in the field.